Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A Pomegranate Grows In Scottsdale

OK - I'm reading ' A Tree Grows In Brooklyn ' by Betty Smith so that was the only thing I could think of to name this photograph.

Every year on Earth Day - my husband and I plant a tree, a shrub, a bush, a garden, a flower or anything else that will grow in the Arizona desert.

Nearly ten years ago we planted this pomegranate bush. It was in memory of my happy childhood that I chose that bush to plant that year.

When I was a little girl living in Scottsdale - our very old and grumpy neighbor had a huge pomegranate bush that was so heavy with fruit it would sag over the fence and beg to be picked.

So what would any normal young girl do? Pick them of course!

My aunt would make yummy pomegranate jelly and we would eat it on our toast.

That is the good part of the story.

As a normal American kid, I would also pick the old, soggy, bug-infested fruit up off the ground and throw them at passing cars. The best part of it was I would always throw the fruit after I sneaked into grumpy neighbors yard so the targeted cars thought the fruit was coming from him.

I thought that would somehow make him less grumpy.

Karma.

No comments: